Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Toot-ta-la Fruit and the New Year

My New Years resolution is to stop being Joey Tribbiani. 

Morocco has a very extensive history, which has created a cultural melting pot with influences from Europe, the Middle East, and all throughout Africa.  You can see the influence of its vast history in its many languages.  From my research I learned that the most common language is Arabic, with Darija being the local vernacular, French in second, and depending on location English or Spanish as third.  I knew that I could not solely rely on English so I opted to learn French.  I was too intimidated to learn Arabic with its completely different alphabet.  Plus, I already knew the most important word in French - fromage (cheese)!  I purchased Rosetta Stone and spent time everyday practicing my vocabulary and covered the house in French words on Post-It Notes.  I felt really good about my progress and was confident that I’d be able to speak with the locals.  Silly me.

On my first day of work I smashed headfirst to the conclusion that my practiced French would need some adjusting.  Trying to ask where the bathroom was (something I made sure to know by heart) was a struggle.  I started to wonder if it was my pronunciation of French that was causing the problem.  Was I Joey Tribbiani?!


In case the video doesn’t work here is the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7G-LSN9vCs

I had already suffered the embarrassment of trying to learn a few lines in Spanish for my friend Rocio’s wedding to say to her family from Argentina.  After saying my rehearsed lines I was met with blank stares and heads tilted to the side as to say, “was she trying to speak Spanish?”  

I spent the next week reviewing my Rosetta Stone at home and brought my flash cards and books (thanks Jaxon!) to work to keep up the practice.  My coworker from Congo, where French is their main language, helped me out too.  

Turns out that Moroccan French is not the same as Parisian French.  My coworker explained that there are some differences in words and pronunciations that everyday Moroccans use.  To give you a comparison, it’s like our English in America compared to that of the UK.  From London to Scotland you will find a variety of English vernacular.  For another example, watch Outlander on Starz.  They are speaking English the majority of the time but you wouldn’t know it.  Mostly you should just watch Outlander to stare longingly at Jamie. 

Understanding this difference in French saved my confidence that I was not totally a Joey Trubbiani.  Now I’m learning how to speak in Moroccan French and feel more like this guy.


In case the video doesn’t work here is the YouTube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HStZ9G6SVrM

At the same time I am picking up on some Darija from work and my host family.  My host dad loves to teach me Arabic words for the foods we are eating or the things on the TV.  He laughs everyday at my sad attempts to pronounce them.  Still working on the rolling R’s.  Then I teach him the word in English.  He really likes the word “tractor” and chuckles every time we see one on TV. 

I like to think I’m making progress in both Arabic and French.   People often ask if I’m from Spain, Italy, or England and I attribute this to sounding less like an American.  My goal for the New Year is to have someone ask if I’m from France.  Here’s to continuing to learn new things in 2015!

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year! Bonne Année!  

      

No comments:

Post a Comment