Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2014

We ain’t in Merica

Culture shock.  They tell you to expected culture shock as things are not the same as they are in the States.  Apparently, I just don’t like to listen.  I really shouldn’t be shocked that everyone is not obsessed with red wine, sweat pants, and the TV show Scandal.  Yet I still found myself caught off guard with my new surrounding.  I blame the jet lag.  Initial thought upon exiting the airport was “it’s hot”.  I’m glad I decided to come during their “winter” months.  The drive over to the office, were all UBELONG volunteers have orientation, was filled with slack jaws pressed up against the window.  The scenery reminds be of a mix between Florida and Mexico.  I’ll let you at home use your imagination on what the means for now. 

After a quick orientation of what to expect while we are here including fun tips like; don’t eat with your left hand, your Moroccan mother will try to feed you to death, what the Arabic word for “full” is (however there is no guarantee she will listen to that word), don’t shower everyday, don’t wear your shoes on the carpet, and don’t get hit by a car or motorcycle.  Feeling a little more confident after my list of “don’t dos” we were off to our host families homes through the winding labyrinth of the old Medina (city).  All volunteers are staying in the old city center where the traditional street market is.  Imagine in the movie Aladdin with all the winding streets, market stalls with people shouting about their product, and the random animals milling about and you have the Rabat Medina.  Much more to come on my new hometown and photos to show you all you can get while shopping on the street!

Next on the list of all things non-American is the house.  I will take some photos of my new place and post more about it at a later date.  For now I will just leave you with this fun fact; the bathroom sink is not in the bathroom, but instead next to the front door, which is all the way across the living room.  This makes for a fun walk across the room until you can wash your hands.  Not quite sure what the meaning behind this layout. 

One last remark on the culture shock/jet lag brain is it turns out I’m white and have blondish hair.  A lot of people notice this fact… sooooo staring and occasional cat calling at night are a thing I have to get used to.  I knew I that this would be the case as it was the same situation in Greece and Turkey.  I can only hope that I will eventually be recognized as someone that lives and works in the area and I will be accepted.


That’s all for now.  I will do a recap of the Cultural Expedition that we did last week next.  I start my volunteer job this week and will have a little more frequent access to the internet to post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment